Recreation

Jamie

Hey everyone,
As I just moved to the city (and country) I'm looking to get some advice on where I can go to play some volleyball - court or beach. Are there any leagues? Anyone in the building play semi-competitive? Anyone know of anyone who is looking for a player? Either for pick-up or a league. Let me know =)
Thanks,
Jamie

David

Hi Jamie,

There are at least three of us here who have played or are continuing to play both indoor (court) and beach volleyball at National, State and social levels (and a bit overseas too). We can certainly help you out with whatever you are looking for, but first, tell us a little more about yourself and your experience, and what you're after? What level have you played before, in which country, and how competitive do you want to be here. Because I can introduce you to a couple of State League clubs for court volleyball, or a more social competition in either Kew or Albert Park. Then there is always the beach side of things - South Melbourne is home to that in Victoria, and then when winter comes they all move to the indoor beach facilities at Sandringham, Dandenong or Altona.

Along with the Volleyball Victoria website, check out www.vicbeach.com.au

Otherwise, we'd love to have a dig, set, spike (or a pepper as we call it in Australia) over in the MCG parkland if you like. We have a couple of volleyballs here with us!

Would be good to meet you!

Cheers

Dave, Alicia and Jono

Jamie

Hey!
Yah I've been down to south Melbourne for the trainings but it's hard getting up in a group with "intermediates" who are actually beginners. I'm not amazing, I played club volleyball a few years back but I've lost a lot of it over the years... Just need to get some hits in with people who can help me improve, not people who can't keep a rally haha :). I'd love a bit of pepper in the park or down at the beach or indoor. I've played indoor and beach back home but beach is 6s so I've just slowly been learning doubles while ive been here. I'm really missing playing some good volleyball though so let me know when you guys go across the street or anywhere and ill come join for a bit.

Thanks for the response!!

David

Yeah, it's a bit of a step up to go from playing with 6 on the beach to having to cover all that ground just between two of you! Maybe if we coordinated a hit in the park one day we could see what level you're at and also what sort of commitment you're willing to make. That sounds intense, I know, but our State League clubs usually train twice a week in the evenings and play on Saturdays from April til September. Otherwise, there are more social comps in Kew or Albert Park where, for example, you and your team (mixed or single gender) can just turn up for an hour or two on a Monday night and still play at a pretty reasonable and competitive level. There are loads of options - we'll help you through them if you like :) It'll be good to meet a neighbour too!

David

Hi Jamie (and anyone else interested),

I'll be driving out to Mulgrave to train with the Monash University Volleyball Club each Monday evening from 7-9pm. If you would like to join me for a hit, and need a lift, let me know.

Cheers,

Dave