Two Fat Indians - Restaurant Review

Ankur Jain

One of the worst food I have tried, in terms of quality and taste.
One of the most expensive indian restaurant I have found in Melbourne.
$20 for a curry and $4.5 for a garlic naan. Totally not worth the time and money.
Koftas in the curry were hard. Seemed unfresh, maybe frozen. Curry was lumpy. Taste wasn't great. My wife can prepare a much better curry at home.
Garlic naan was a joke. Plain naan coated with some cheap garlic butter.
Naan was rubbery. Total waste.
Wouldn't recommend it any one.
Its a joke for a restaurant.

Matt F

Thanks Ankur for this - I've eaten at Two Fat Indians once or twice and got take-away a couple of times, mostly because of the sheer convenience.
Even me, knowing nothing about Indian food, thought the food was very, very ordinary. And bloody expensive for what you got.

Good to know I'm not the only one!

Chen

agreed with both u. try this when first move here and never go back. waitress rude, food expensiv and small size and taste yuck. curry was watery soup with hardly any lamb.. this restaurant is just for tourist who stay in hotel and don't care if come bak or not.

Last edited:
Agreed - it used to be very good around 5/6 years ago, but the quality in line with price has gotten very poor over the years.
Thank god for menulog

Cat L.

I walked in this place on a Tuesday night and managed to get a table at a booth. The service as I entered was quick, pleasant and helpful. I didn't feel awkward sitting there alone which I have done in other restaurants, so I was instantly at ease.

Being from Glasgow, Scotland I believe I can recognise a good curry when I taste one. So I thought I'd give this place a try whilst I was visiting Melbourne for a conference.

I started with popadoms and mango chutney (not complimentary). The popadoms were fine, but the mango chutney was very sweet and thick and didn't taste home made, not unpleasant, but certainly not the best I have tried.

For my main I had the fish madras, mushroom rice with a garlic nan. I think I would have been happy with just the rice, which was delicious! The fish madras was not outstanding with quite a strong fish taste. The fish itself was overcooked and quite chewy, whilst the sauce seemed somewhat lacking in depth of flavour (perhaps overpowered by the strong taste of fish).The garlic flavour on the nan tasted more Italian than Indian, but it worked well enough with the curry. I didn't manage to finish my meal as the fish madras really didn't seem worth the effort.

The service was good and the atmosphere was lively. The decor was clean and modern, but the food was a little mediocre. Not bad, but just not memorable.

re.jpg

Matt F

Two fats have responded...
They increased the price the "Fish Madras", from $23 to $25. lol.
fm.jpg